This gearbox is used for generator testing purposes and suffered extensive fire damage during one of these test run sessions.
Gearbox Services International was invited to establish the condition of the gearbox, in order to assess which parts can be salvaged, as well as to compile a scope of repair for bringing the gearbox back into service. During the inspection, the gearbox was completely dismantled.
Rated power gearbox : 2,500 kW
Rotational speed : 4,233 / 900 rpm
The following activities comprise the scope of this inspection:
- Exterior: visual inspection, appendages
- Casing: internal conservation, split surface flatness
- Bearings: visual inspection
- Shafts: runout (staightness), hardness, journal surface condition
- Gears: visual inspection, crack testing, hardness
- Labyrinths: visual for rubbing marks